So I came across an interesting problem where immediately following a CI/CD deployment it appeared as if my entire Azure App Service site was broken. I logged into the site via Kudu and none of my files in wwwroot were available. After a frustrating few minutes I attempted to create a file from the Kudu command line terminal and saw this error message:

409 Conflict: Invalid access to memory location.

I got similar errors when trying to delete a directory:

409 Conflict: Cannot delete directory. It is either not empty or access is not allowed.

The problem appeared to be that my site assumed itself to be in read only mode, I literally could not create or delete a file without getting some variant of the 409 conflict error. This was, apparently, caused by an app setting called WEBSITE_RUN_FROM_PACKAGE set 1. This tells the site to go into read-only mode and is generally set during remote installation attempts from your CI/CD (it turns out I have a bad deployment zip file).

To resolve this problem I set WEBSITE_RUN_FROM_PACKAGE = 0 in the Configuration section of the Azure App Services followed by a service restart. Once I logged back into my KUDU site I magically saw all my files restored and was able to add or remove files at will.

website_run_from_package

Hopefully if you see any of these strange errors this helps you get back on track.


Share on Twitter Facebook

Comment Section